Notre Dame’s history began in 1906 when the pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows parish saw the need for a Catholic elementary school. Dolores School was first established at the corner of Anacapa and Figueroa streets under the direction of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. After several moves the present school was constructed. The building was damaged in the 1925 earthquake so Dolores School sought other quarters and the repaired building was completed in 1926 and became Santa Barbara Catholic High. When Bishop High School was established in 1959 Dolores School moved back to the building. After merging with Guadalupe School in 1974 the school was renamed as The Notre Dame School. The philosophy of providing a quality Catholic education for all children lives on in the staff that serves the school today.